Monday, August 3, 2015

Shoes and Knock-Off's (August 3rd, 2015)

image1.JPG
Hello everyone! So this past week has been interesting. It has had its ups and downs but over all, a week for the better!

So over this past week I have discovered that because we have iPads, any time we can connect with the wifi, we can download our emails and read them any day on our free time, like during meals or right before bed! So feel free to email me any time during the week. You never know when I might catch it! 
Also, if you want to make sure I get your email before Monday's when I email you back, I would say to email me by Saturday night so that I can get the email when at church, read it on my own time, and then reply to you on Monday (that is Monday here in England.) the time difference is about 7 or 8 hours difference. Also, this way I can have more time replying to emails rather than reading and trying to rush a reply.

This week here in Sittingbourne has been really wild as far as weather. It has been really hot. Well, not as hot as Arizona, not even close, but way warmer than I expected I would ever get. Last week it was on and off raining or just gloomy skies, but this week it has been pretty much all sunny with quite a bit of wind.

For any of you who don't know what "white washing" is, it is when both missionaries coming into an area at the time of transfers (moving locations) are both brand new. Usually one of the missionaries was there the transfer before so they know the way around and can introduce the other missionary to members, investigators, and the town. But sister Ranck and I are both both new to the area, so that is why I said we were "white washing." 

One of the downs this last week was that I got pretty bad blisters from walking around all day on Monday. I have also discovered that most of my shoes are rubbish and today we are going into Canterbury to find at least one nicer pair of shoes.

Last Thursday, I went to my first zone meeting! It was way fantastic. We are in the Cantebury zone which includes about 10 companionships. And one of the companionships of sisters included one of the sisters that was in in my district while at the MTC, sister MacFarland! One of the sweetest sisters I have ever met! It was really nice to see other missionaries who knew what I was going and I could talk to.

I have the hardest time starting a conversation with someone. I can talk pretty easy, it is just the starter. I never know what to say. If you are preparing for a mission, that is something I would say to practice before you go out. Also, read "The Fourth Missionary" by Lawrence E. Corbridge. This a fantastic talk that really breaks it down on how to be the best missionary ever.

On the train, Sister Ranck and I were able to talk to a Jehovah's Witness and it was actually a pretty good conversation. He knew his bible very well, but I think I held my own. And we also got to teach a guy who is writing a paper on the different religions and asked to learn a little more about the church. We had to have a bit of a different approach but I think it went quite well. I think he felt that there is something different about our religion from the other ones he had studied already. We were also able to teach it at a members home and the parents are both converts and had similar beliefs to this guy and I think it was the perfect setting and I know I felt the spirit there!

Random Facts:

There are so many Mini Coopers here! That's my car!!! And the fact that we don't drive a car anyway makes it worse! But at least I get to see all the different possible colours.

Knock off, as in knock off brand, does not just mean it isn't the name brand, it means it has been stolen and sold on the under the table. I was talking about how I usually get knock off brands and the member who was feeding us jumped and looked at me really startled. Haha! I quickly explained what knock off meant to us in the states.

Anyways, I love you all and love and feel your prayers! Thank you and keep them coming!
-- 
- Sister Haynie

No comments:

Post a Comment