Monday, August 24, 2015

The Sister Missionaries and the Curse of the English Double Doors Continues with Miracles (August 17th, 2015)



Hello everyone! How are you all? I want to know! 

Okay Kay, I know you have all been wondering about the title of the last email, and realising that never once did I mention anything about English double doors. Sorry, I got caught up in the rest of my email last week. Well, without further ado, here it is.

Once upon a time, there were two sister missionaries who were serving their missions in England. As with all missionaries, they had to knock on doors every once in a while. Little did they know before coming out on their missions, that many English homes have walled front porches. Typically the walls are made mostly of some sort of glass where they can see you outside their door but you can only sort of see them moving about. So when the doorbell rang, the people who lived there would have to open the inside door and then the glass door to talk to who was outside. Oh the joy these sisters had to experience ringing the door bells or tapping the door knockers and waiting while people came and opened the inside door ... And then seeing that you were missionaries, not even be bothered to open the second door and say "no, thank you!" But just go back inside. Oh the life of missionaries of the Lord! As sister Ranck would say, "Gotta love it!" And that is the story of the Sister Missionaries and the Curse of the English Double Doors.

Despite having to knock on double doors, we have been seeing miracles here in Sittingbourne and Rainham! Yesterday, at church a member said that she invited a family that just moved here and she wasn't sure if they were going to show up, but they did! The mother's name is Faith and she came with us to the Gospel Principles class and we taught her about prophets and the Book of Mormon and asked if she would read the Book of Mormon and pray to know its truth. Faith said, "I will, but I don't need to because I already know that it is true. It is the word of God." I am sure sister Rank and I sat there just a bit too long thinking, "Whaaaaaaaaaat?" And then ... Sister Ranck challenged her to prepare for baptism on September 12. And she said yes! She had even been taking notes in class! If that isn't a miracle and a golden investigator wrapped in one, then I don't what would be! I think I am finally feeling like I am a missionary and I know what to do and what this work is that I am doing! I know that it has taken me about a month, but hey, I have it now.

Also, on Wednesday I got to go to my first Zone conference! It was fan-flippin-tastic! I love getting together with other missionaries! At first, I thought that going to London for this meeting would be like a mini vacation, but so many good things were said, both sister Ranck and I were almost freaking out, because there are so many things we need to do in our area, we were like, we need to get back to get started! But it was also really cool because the spirit brought to mind so many things. And one of the things I learned was this:

There are a few things that are essential in life. They are going to happen with or without God.
- trials
- change 
- the mercy of God 
So many people that we stop on the street say that there cannot be a god because of all the bad things that happen on this earth. Well yes, bad things happen and are always going to happen. But if you had the chance to have an aid and support through these things, why wouldn't you take it? What do you have to lose? You are going to suffer through these anyway. Why not with God, who will not take them away but lighten the burden and comfort you so that you CAN make it through? Not only will he carry you through, but you will grow and become a stronger, better person. Who knows, maybe these trials will allow you to be that support for others who go through the exact same thing.
I know that God is there for us but he cannot help us unless we allow him to. He WILL NOT make us ask him for help. The one thing that is ours and ours alone, is agency, a gift from God.
All of it can be made easier and better with God.
They are going to happen/need to happen.

On a little weird note, the other day we were waiting for the train (yes, we train it everywhere. I take a train more times in two days than I ever did in my entire life) and there was this guy who took a double look at sister Ranck and I and asked if it would be possible if he could get our number. I immediately said, " Nope!" Tricia, you be so proud of me, you taught me well! 

I just have to say thank you to everyone who has ever fed missionaries! And ask that if it is at all possible, you feed them every once in a while, because not only are they being fed, but the time spent with a family, is like a mini vacation in the life of a missionary. I think we have some of the best families in our ward. I have learned quite a bit from these families.

Oh! Mom and dad and everyone else, you have to get this card game. It is a lot like the one you were trying to teach me right before I left but a German version, called Ligretto! And a party game called Pass the Parcel. Little candies or treats or prizes are layer-wrapped in a parcel, and with every one there is a task that must be performed and if done correctly, you get to keep the prize. It is fun especially with younger children!

Random facts:
- here, because the streets are so small, cars literally pull onto the sidewalks and park there.
-they also call sidewalks, pavement. I don't know what they call the road. Probably the road/street.
-I hear seagulls all day long. So strange for me, having lived in Arizona all my life. We live not 30 minutes train ride to the beach.



I love you all so much!



-- 
- Sister Haynie

No comments:

Post a Comment