Monday, July 27, 2015

Week 1 In The Field (July 17th, 2015)

image1.JPG
Week 1 in the Field


Wow! It feels like it has been years since I have been able to send a proper email! And I still won't be able to read all your mail though I desperately want to.
But the question I am sure you have all been dying to hear the answer to, is the mission area I have been called to .... Sittingbourne!! It is a on the South eastern side of the UK. If you look it up, we cover the town of Sittingbourne, Rainham, the Isle of Sheppy and our chapel is in the city of Gillingham. It is a huge area and we don't even have a car. But that is a blessing because neither Sister Ranck or I know how to drive here. Oh! By the way, Sister Ranck is my trainer! She is amazing and is just what I needed. Oh again! We are white washing this area (see the post titled "Shoes and Knock-Off's" for definition) so both of us didn't know a single soul here or where anything was! But Sister Ranck is brilliant and got to work right away! We bought a map at the store and looked through the Area Book and our phone and started visiting people and calling members of the ward we are in right away! 
To be honest, it was really hard for me to adjust to this life, and am still adjusting. The Preston MTC is really cozy and felt very safe. We came out here both new and it just felt scary at first. But as we worked everyday I came to feel better about everything.
So some random info about England/Sittingbourne/living here:
-Padestrians do NOT have any sort of right of way! It is ridiculous. The people on the street have to look out for cars, not the other way around. Cars don't care. They will just mow you over! Also, as hard as I try, I cannot seem to get the driving-on-the-wrong-side-the-road straight in my head. Even trying to say to myself "If you think it is one way, then it is actually the other way," doesn't work! These roads are so strange. The lights and signs and road marks... Good thing I am not driving yet!
-The streets are so small everywhere and everything builds up, even in these smaller towns.
-As a missionary we are always on our knees in prayer! (not literally all the time) But we pray when we wake up and go to bed, before and after personal study, before and after companion study, before we leave the flat and when we get back, and anytime in between like when we are about to knock on a door or teach a lesson. I always knew to pray a lot, but missionaries pray a LOT. I like it though because now my prayers are much more sincere and unique! I don't say the same thing all the time. I have to get inventive and it is great!
- As we have met with the members and less actives, it seems everyone is sick or in poor health! So be thankful siblings, that mom and dad were able to bless us with really healthy bodies!
-As anyone would have guessed, the weather here is bipolar. Our first day in Sittingbourne, it was sunny and almost even hot. But then on and off the sky will change from being blue to being gloomy gray and rainy! Friday, sister Ranck and I got caught in the rain on our way to meet the Relief Society President for dinner. You all will be happy to know (I think) that my little rain jacket from Target, and my Arizona boots survived the water. And my bag was very dry! Thanks mom for the waterproofing spray! The only thing that did not work was my dumb cheap umbrella from Wallmart! It leaks for crying out loud!
-Also I have to get used to writing the date day/month/year instead of month/day/year. I confuse myself all the time!
I wish I could send you pictures, but once again, I don't have time. We have to email from a local library and there is an hour limit! We have iPads but the wifi at the library doesn't work. We may just go to the chapel next week. Hopefully we can figure something else out.
But, I love you all so much and I pray for you! And thank you for all the prayers! I will try to write things down in my journal so one day I can tell you all the things that won't fit in an email!
Love you all so much!
The Church is so true and even though the work is hard, I am coming to know its worth!

--
love,
- Sister Haynie

No comments:

Post a Comment